Monday, October 4, 2010

Sweet Neighbor Girl

About a month ago, Matt brought in some papers from outside (we always have flyers and things stuck to our door or on our porch.) This one had a title page of  "Horses" by Lauryn. I flipped through it, saw it was an elementary school report, and thought, "Oh, poor girl. She dropped her homework on the way to school." I really felt bad for the girl but didn't think much of it after that. Well, last week I pulled into the driveway and noticed another stack of papers. I read the title, "Cool Facts about Animals" By:Lauren.

It finally dawned on me!

I was talking to our neighbor the other day about some black widow spiders he found in his garage. He was letting me know to beware and showed me one he had in a jar. He said they are homeschooling their daughter, LAURYN, and kept one to show her. Duh! That conversation with my neighbor came back to me as I read this report. This sweet girl is writing reports and leaving them on our doorstep (as well as a couple other houses). My heart just melted. I thought it was the sweetest thing! And then I felt awful for not acknowledging the first report about horses!  So... I made her some cookies, feeling like she deserved an 'A' for her work.

It was funny because when I went to deliver them, the mom, Carmen was the only one home. I said, "Did your sweet girl leave a report on my door?" She looked so emabarrassed and said "Yes." I told her how cute I thought it wasm and she breathed this sigh of relief! She said,"oh good...I was so worried people would think it was so weird." She then told me it was all Lauryn's idea to do this and had nothing to do with 'homeschooling work.' She just randomly says, "mom, I wrote another report and I think I need to give it to our neighbors!" She said they had come by to explain what Lauryn was doing but we weren't home.

Anyway, she was grateful that I was happy to receive it and said Lauryn would be really happy too.
I thought this was just so sweet (have I used that word enough yet;) and wanted to remember it!

No comments: