Thursday, June 21, 2012

Scare of My Life

Today was quite the day. We did some exercise, the park, and then to the library in the afternoon for a special event. Every day one of the libraries around town do an event in the afternoon. Today was a visit from the fire department and then they soaked the kids with water from the fire truck. Rose and I didn’t dress Tommy and Noah for a soaking and they said they didn’t want to get wet anyway. They did love the tall ladder on the truck though. After that, we went inside the library to cool down, well really for us moms to talk and let our kiddos run/crawl around like crazies (being very close to getting kicked outSmile  During this, Rose and I were talking about 2 deaths that just happened in our ward (more on that in another post) and how her friend from Mississippi just had their little girl die. I said that was awful and asked how it happened. She said the little girl had been sick (3 yrs old) and after going to the doctor, the father was supposed to take the girl to day care the next day. He got in his car and being in his normal routine, went to work….with his little girl still in the car, forgotten about. She, of course, died from the heat…. absolutely heart wrenching. I can’t even imagine. Well, we left the library and when I pulled into the garage, I was on the phone with our insurance agent about our accident and getting our car fixed. I had put my keys down on the seat, not realizing it, and got out of the car. Tommy got out of the car too, locked the doors and shut his. I went to get Tyler out and realizing what happened abruptly told the agent I had to go. I completely freaked out, almost hysterical. Rose’s story was in the forefront of my  mind still. Tyler wasn’t crying until he saw me and wanted out. He couldn’t understand why I wasn’t getting him. It was in the 90’s and we were in the garage. I immediately called Matt and he was on his way, but I knew I couldn’t wait that long. Completely freaking out, mind you.Tommy at one point asked me if I had to go potty.  I ran over to a neighbor mowing his lawn and asked for his help. He tried a coat hanger but couldn’t get it in. Matt called to ask if I knew where the Valet key was, but I didn’t. He then said to call the police station to get someone out there. I did and they just transferred me to dispatch-(911). The lady on the phone told me the locksmith could get there as fast as the police so she would sent them. I hang up with them and hate just waiting. The neighbor found another neighbor and they tried together with the coat hanger, but couldn’t get anything. The trunk was open (wouldn’t stay shut anymore, from the accident) and I tried to open the console part but Tyler’s car seat was in the middle and it was hitting his feet. With it propped open, it gave for a little air to go through, though. So Matt calls back saying he’s in traffic and I told him we’re waiting for the locksmith but the dispatch lady didn’t tell me how long it would be or where he was at. So Matt says to go ahead and break the passenger front window. The neighbor hesitated for a minute, saying I’m sure they’ll be here really soon. I called dispatch again asking if they knew how long it would be and right then I heard sirens coming. The police came and looked at Tyler. They said he really was ok. The fact that the car was in the garage, he WAS crying and a little sweaty was a good sign. If we had been in the dead of heat, over one hundred degrees, and they’re sleepy is when it’s time to worry. Shortly after the police arrived, the locksmith came. It was quick from there. I pulled Tyler out and he was covered in sweat, mainly from crying. He was probably in there for about 20 or so minutes. The LONGEST 20 minutes of my life. I just don’t do well in emergency situations. My brain freezes…not good. I really think I wouldn’t have acted so crazy  if I hadn’t just heard about that little girl. Thankfully Tyler was ok and we got him to drink as much as we could. So thankful! So very thankful! I would have immediately went to the store to get some extra car keys made, but we are taking our car in tomorrow to get it fixed-definitely on my list as soon as we get it back! AND Tommy has had THE talk on locking doors, or NOT locking doors rather. NOT TOUCHING LOCKS on doors, any doors-car door, house door…..(and yes, we’ve had this talk before with him but I hope it sticks this time)

No comments: