Of course it had to happen as soon as Matt left on a business trip (to California poor guy.) Monday morning Tommy woke up so congested, sneezing, coughing, and a runny nose. He was so whiny, lethargic and very warm. His temperature was 102.5 so I gave him IBProfen and he started playing again shortly after. I could tell when the medicine would ware off because he really wouldn’t act himself. He looked so miserable. That night it really seemed to get worse. He was so tired that I laid him on the couch to take care of Tyler and he fell asleep. He woke up after 15 minutes coughing and I could tell his throat hurt every time he coughed. Tyler was having teething issues, so I just laid Tommy down on our bed and had to hold Tyler. I felt so bad I couldn’t fully take care of Tommy, and wishing there were two of me. He finally fell asleep late into the night and he woke up a few hours later, really crying and sweating. His temperature was 103.9. I called the nurse and she said keep up the tylenol and motrin every 3 hours, even if you have to wake him up and to get him an appointment in the morning. Tommy was awake after that and wanted to watch a show (3 a.m.) Tyler woke up a couple times that night too. Needless to say it was a looong night. I called the doctor’s and the next appointment was 2:45 pm with the nurse practitioner. Tommy was still lethargic that day but didn’t take a nap until we were on the way to the doctors. He was so congested and his eyes were constantly watery. There was no way to put it except that he looked and felt completely miserable. When we finally got into our appointment they tested for RSV and Flu. No RSB but positive on the Flu. Type A flu to be exact. I felt SO bad for him. It broke my heart. Then she checked his ears and if that wasn’t enough, his left ear was infected. It’s weird because he never mentioned his ears hurting. Again, I felt awful and being so tired from the night before I was ready to get my babies home. Tyler was so good all through this. He is such a good baby…during the day. Then we headed to the closest pharmacy, Target so I could get the antibiotic and Tamiflu, while also picking up a few items. The pharmacist told me it would be about 35 minutes so we did a little shopping. During this time, Tommy eyes are half open not only from being tired but just feeling awful. I picked out things he wanted, some fruit snacks, grape juice, a Fireman Sam show, etc…. When I headed back to the pharmacy there were quite a few people waiting. We waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, after almost an hour, they said they called my insurance and we weren’t covered-at all. This was almost the tip of the iceberg. I said, “What?” So with Tommy, eyes puffy and red, coughing, sneezing, and pleading with me he wanted to go home, I said, Fine, I’ll just pay for it. I didn’t care anymore. She told me if I called the insurance and figured it out within two weeks I could get reimbursed. The Tamiflu was pretty expensive. Well, after I said I’d pay for it, she said, OK, let me go mix it up for you. UGH….It took another 15 minutes! During this time I called Matt to see if he knew what was going on with our insurance. At first he didn’t know, and then he remembered…He remembered getting CVS cards in the mail and apparently that is where we have to go now to get prescriptions….Now THAT was the tip of the iceberg. I lost it. Right there in Target, I could not keep the tears from coming. Tyler had woken up and was crying, Tommy had finally fallen asleep with his head on the cart, and still waiting for the meds. Ugh….what a day. Anyway, we made it home and Tommy started to feel better pretty quickly, partly because I was still giving him motrin as the doctor suggested. The rest of the night was filled with shows and Tommy even requested to play the Wii. I was happy to indulge him in whatever he wanted to do

. Matt was coming home Wednesday night so we couldn’t wait for that. Thursday Matt stayed home from work and Tyler and I went to the store. We were low on everything! On top of all that, Tyler has been constipated, and he’s in so much pain. He screams when he goes to the bathroom and his bottom has a painful rash that has rubbed some skin away. I feel so bad for him. I’ve tried pureed prunes, prune juice, and suppositories….nothing. Next we’ll be trying dark corn syrup with some milk or juice (although he doesn’t take a bottle and only rarely sucks on a sippy cup) and “corona” ointment for his bottom, as the nurse just suggested so, we’ll see……sigh….Enjoy the journey right? Right?
2 comments:
Oh, that's even worse than I had heard. So sorry for you guys! Makes you glad when everyone is healthy and the hubby is home!
You poor thing! That sounds like such a horrible day!!
You know, we have some CVS cards too... but I usually just go to walmart anyway... and our prescriptions aren't really covered either, but I just thought it was our plan. Maybe I'll have to see if it would be cheaper at CVS too. Hmmm. Thanks for the insight. :)
Post a Comment