Tommy just finished his first swim class at the Keller Recreation Center. It was twice a week for 30 minutes and the kids ranged from 6 months to 2 years. The pool water was pretty chilly, and it took Tommy some getting used to at every class. But once he got moving, he loved it. It was really informal and because it was only 30 minutes we didn’t do a LOT, but it was still fun. Tommy was really shy, but for the most part, he would do what Jennifer (the teacher) said. Throughout the week I would tell him he needed to listen to the teacher. It didn’t take long before I would say, “Tomorrow we’re going to the swimming pool" and Tommy would follow up with “Listen to the teacher!” She first taught him to ‘scoop’ the water (she would call it ice cream). The next couple classes were cancelled due to the snow and ice storms. Then we had noodles to tie around their waists and Tommy LOVED this. He would jump off and kick to me (and Matt when he took him) loving that he was free to ‘swim.’ The teacher also used squirting ducks to try and get them to blow bubbles in the water. Tommy loved playing with the ducks but would NOT put his mouth in the water. She would ask him if he could put his elbow in the water, and he would do it. Then she asked if he could put his shoulder in the water, and he would do it ( a little more slowly). And finally she got him to put his chin in the water but that was it. He also loved the weighted rings that he could throw in the 2 ft. area and pick up, still not getting his head in the water:) Anyway, it was probably more for fun than a learning experience but I’m glad we did it. It was something for us to look forward to when the weather was so cold, and I want to do as much as I can with Tommy before this baby comes…when his world his turned upside down! I really couldn’t get any pictures of him during the class, obviously,but I took a couple before one started. (He's still wearing his 18 month suit!) He’s going to miss it, the little frog!

No comments:
Post a Comment