Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Delivery and Our New Addition!

And finally an update- for all my non-facebook family and friends:
IMG_2430
39.5 weeks
The Delivery
I figured I’d better get this written down before I forget. Although, this would be realllly hard to forget…..As you can tell from my last pregnancy pic, I was So done being pregnant! Although, I think it caused me more anxiety  to know exactly when I’d be going to the hospital to have this baby, rather than waiting for him to come naturally. Sunday night I was thinking about all the things I should have done and wondering how Tommy was going to do without us. I have never left him for a full night before. In spite of that, it made me feel a little better to hear Tommy say, (after much explaining)”mommy’s going to the hospital to have baby Tyler and grandma’s going to play with me.”  I also thought ‘how in the world am I going to handle 2 kiddos! I have thought about this plenty of times over the last nine months but everything seemed to hit me Sunday night. Of course I didn’t sleep much at all. I was set to get up at 3:45 am and when I woke up the first time, I could have sworn my alarm was going to go off any minute. I looked at the  clock and it was 12:30! It was a long night, but we got ready and finally arrived at the hospital at 5:00 am-my scheduled induction time. It was much more calm getting ready for everything, than the last time- with my water breaking and fluid running down my legs as I’m trying to change into the gown and get an IV. The IV wasn’t as bad as I remember. I just really hate hospitals so the first time seemed so traumatic. Oh, funny side note-the nurse was entering information in the computer and before I got into the bed, I grabbed my water and a folder with my birth plan. I opened the folder without realized the water bottle was open and a bunch of water splashed onto the floor. The nurse turned around with a big gasp and said, ohhh! I thought your water broke! whoopsWinking smile  By the time the nurse finished the paperwork, changed into the gown, got the IV and Pitocin ready, it was 7:00am. Dr. White came in and said I was still at a 3.5-4 dilated. He immediately broke my water and the contractions began. Soon after I asked for the epidural. When he did it the first time, I felt the strongest twinge in my right leg and let out a gasp. He said he would redirect it. Then I felt it again in the same spot. He continued to say he’d redirect it for the next 4 times! By then I was done feeling that twinge, terrified my right leg was going to be paralyzed. So my right leg was completely numb, but I could feel my left leg and all the contractions along my lower stomach. I don’t remember what happened at what time but I made it through contractions for a good while. They were absolutely awful and everything I had imagined when they did come, but I knew there was an end to them. I would actually fall asleep in between them and I realized by 10 or 11 o’clock that they were actually getting further apart. That’s how I was able to handle itSmile  Finally the nurse said, “We have to up the Pitocin and get this baby out.” I thought, ok, I’ve handled it this far, I can do it. Well, I then had 5 of the strongest contractions I’ve ever had, in a row, and then said, let’s do the epidural again, now! It was so awful. The man that came to do it this time was different than the first and had me laying down on my side to do it, versus sitting up and hunched over. I felt the twinge slightly, and he tried one more time and it worked. Hallelujah! Soon after I didn’t feel a thing-not even pressure to push, which was a little difficult but I’m not complaining. I pushed for awhile and at 1:48 pm little Tyler Douglas Duke was born. He had the cord wrapped around his neck TWICE and there was a KNOT in it. When Dr. White pulled him out he said, “He’s been busy!” Thank heavens he was just fine. He was absolutely perfect when they laid him on my chest, staring up at me with his big wide eyes.
The hospital has changed quite a few things since I had Tommy and for the better! They now do everything in your room without taking the baby out. All his measurements, the eye stuff, everything was done right next to me. I LOVE that! I moved to postpartum soon afterwards where they gave him his first bath. It’s sad I didn’t get Tommy’s first bath pictures;(
Little Tyler weighed .01 less of an ounce than Tommy. 7.47 lbs. Tommy weighed 7.48. I was completely shocked. The brown hair was quite a shocker too, but I love it! Here are all of his stats:
Tyler Douglas Duke
Born: Monday June 13th, 2011 @ 1:48 pm
Weight: 7 lbs 5 oz.
Length: 20.5”

DSC09477IMG_2433IMG_2434DSC09482
First Bath 4:30pm
first bath 4:30pmIMG_2438IMG_2465IMG_2472all clean after first bath
All Clean!
IMG_2477

I am very thankful we have another sweet, healthy, little boy! I’m also thankful my mom was able to stay with Tommy and that he did so well with her, even throughout the night! She was his 24/7 playmate which is pretty much all he cares about right now…having someone to play with! Well, more to come on Tommy meeting Tyler Winking smile

3 comments:

Alison Hixson said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful! I am glad everything went well and Tommy did well with your mom!

shilo said...

So cute! Thanks for letting all of us intrude on you so soon after Tyler came home. Feel like you have 3 kids yet with Dylan running around all week?

Sarah said...

I LOVE birth stories!! I can't wait to meet the little guy. He is a cutie!!