I don't know what to call this post....
Today’s lesson in Young Women’s was Father’s Blessings. I wasn’t teaching today, but was grateful to have heard it. My father died yesterday, a man I really knew nothing about. He had Leukemia and was receiving a new treatment that allowed him to come in less often. The treatment caused hemorrhaging in his brain, making him brain dead on Friday. He died Saturday morning.
When I heard the news, I didn’t know what to think or what to feel. I put on my Facebook wall, "How should you feel when someone dies, who should have been a part of your life, but chose not to be?" He was never a part of my life which was his choice and always has been. As I’ve had time to ponder, cry, and talk about it, these are a few of my thoughts. I have ‘numbed’ myself on the fact I didn’t grow up with a dad. I didn’t dwell on it and haven’t really harbored ill feelings. I just chose not to think about it or feel sorry about it. I have had a good life without him. I have been surrounded by good examples growing up, my uncles, home teachers, etc…. and now my step-dad Roy, and my father-in-law, Doug.
And most importantly, I have a loving Heavenly Father. He has always been there for me. I truly see him as my Father, perhaps in a stronger or different sense than others. I see him as one who cares about everything that I’m going through and knows everything that I need. In High school I would talk to him about everything on my mind, just as a teenager would to her friends and family. On “Father’s Day” every year, I would think about my relationship with my Heavenly Father and I would grow closer to him.
With that being said, there has always been a place in the back of my mind that was hoping my father would come back and have a desire to be a part of my life- that I would know he actually cared about me. Knowing he is gone means this will never happen, and that has been a challenging thing to face. I understand that it is his choice and that it has hurt him the most. He has missed out on so many wonderful things. But I am still sad for missed opportunities. I am sad for his wife and her family. What an awful thing to go through.
Growing up I knew what I wanted. I would have an eternal marriage. I would have a husband who loves me and our family. I would have a husband who honorably holds the priesthood and is worthy to provide blessings for me and my children. How grateful I am for Matt. He is everything I hoped for in a husband and Tommy will always have him to look up to as his father. He truly is a Dad. I see how much love he has for Tommy and that’s been one of my absolute greatest joys.
I am sorry I will never have a relationship with my biological father, but am so very thankful my children will always have one with theirs.
Colton's Semi-Quarantined 8th Birthday
6 years ago
4 comments:
Oh you sweet girl! I am so sorry for your longing heart. My sweetheart has much the same relationship with his mom, I can't even imagine. It just shows what a strong person you are to just keep going, not that you have a choice in the matter, it is something that could really pull you down unless you make the choice to not let it. What a sweet gift you've given all your readers, a chance to be grateful for the good relationships they do have. You know well Heavenly Father will always bless you with the support you need. I always think that you must be a really strong person for Him to give you such a hardship that he knew would make you stronger. Anyone else may not have been able to handle it like you. Thank you! Tommy's beautiful vibrant blue eyes make me smile every time see your blog!!
I was wondering what your comment was in regards to, but I never suspected it to be your father. And after this, I understand what you mean about not knowing how to feel. I'm sorry for your loss but I am so glad that you know we have a Father in Heaven and I am even more grateful that you are able to give your children life with a father when you were not able to have one.
Oh, Allyson. My heart goes out to you. It must be frustrating to have those mixed emotions. I'll keep you in my prayers. I'm glad I get to give you a hug next week and see you for Easter!
Allyson, that was so touching and some very personal thoughts to share. How amazing you are for your perspective and a great example of gratitude for the gospel. I'll be thinking of you.
Post a Comment