Monday, February 23, 2009

Family & Blogging....It's About Time

It's about time I blog about our newest addition! I'm quite slow but better late than never! Thomas Stevan Duke arrived on January 10th, 2009 at 6:41 am. Matt and I were watching a movie on Friday night. I fell asleep and the next thing I knew I woke up to my water breaking! It was about 10:35 pm and after racing around the apartment like chickens with our heads cut off trying to pack our bags, we headed to the hospital. Matt was holding my hand during contractions with one hand and calling his parents/ steering with the other. Crazy! My pants were soaked as I walked into (waddled into) the delivery area with my knees together trying to "hold it in." No, didn't work! The nurses laughed once they saw me and said "let's get her into a room." My contractions were about 6 minutes a part but I was only dialated to a 2. I was offered an epidural only because Tommy's head was so low. Even the nurses were surprised when they did the exam. ( I had been feeling that pressure for a couple weeks). I hesitated for about 30 seconds and then said yes to the epidural. After that I tried to sleep as much as I could-a little difficult when you #1 hate hospitals, #2 have an IV for the first time and a blood pressure machine constantly going, and #3 know you're about to be a PARENT in a matter of hours. Well, I woke up around 5:30 when they did another exam and said "your a 10!" Matt was a great supporter, constantly encouraging me and at 6:41 am little, beautiful, most handsome, and perfect Tommy was born! He is our absolute joy and sunshine! We love him so much and are so thankful to have him. He's a lot of work but worth it of course. Because I waited so long to blog I made a slideshow of his pics, so enjoy! Thank you to everyone for your support, well wishes, and love!!

1 comment:

Alison Hixson said...

Thanks for posting the details of when you had him! It is hard having you so far away!! We miss you guys! You guys did an awesome job! He is beautiful!! Congratulations!